I always loved to read growing up – always fiction, Harry Potter was my JAM. If you’ve followed me on Instagram for awhile, you know I’m a big personal development book nerd now. But I didn’t pick up my first personal devo book until I was 22. I didn’t even know what that was, sounded boring – right?
I had a “might as well try it” moment. On the outside, I looked happy. But on the inside, I was suffering and I didn’t know why. All I can describe it as is being uncomfortable in my own body and having negative thoughts constantly. No amount of going to church or prayer seemed to make a difference.
So one day, I was in a book store in Denver meeting my roommate I found on Craigslist. I saw this table with the book “The Power of Now” scattered all over it and for some reason decided to buy it after looking at a few reviews online.
I had so many realisations while reading that book – within a week I broke up with my rude ass boyfriend, within a month I hired my first business mentor, quit my job and really started taking action towards my business. It was like I moved from the passenger’s seat to taking the wheel in my life – knowing it was up to me to create a life I was happy with, no one else was going to do it for me.
Here are some of my favorite, most life-changing books that I believe every girl boss should have on her shelf.
10 BOOKS EVERY GIRL BOSS SHOULD HAVE ON HER SHELF
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle – if you resonate with what I said at the beginning of the blog, check this book out! It will make you examine your own thoughts and take you down a spiritual journey to connect you to who you really are.
- Sell or Be Sold by Grant Cardone – if you’re afraid or apprehensive towards “selling” this is THE BOOK for YOU. It breaks down the techniques and approaches necessary to master the art of selling. You will learn how to handle rejection, turn around negative situations and how to stay positive despite rejection.
- Launch by Jeff Walker – the secret formula to sell almost anything online. Game changer! The first time I read this, my mind was blown at how simplified launching can be and I took pages of notes!
- Ask by Ryan Levesque – looking for insights into what your target audience is thinking? Wondering how you can survey your audience? What questions you need to ask? What to do with responses? Check this out!
- What I Know For Sure by Oprah Winfrey – First of all, it’s Oprah. Second of all, her beliefs, sentiments, vulnerability and achievements are what we all have inside of us in some fashion. Bottom line, we all hold the power. She in reality is not anymore special than you and me, it’s the good intentions you put out into the world that elevates you to greatness. The book reminds you of this. I strongly recommend the audio version. Her narration is perfect.
- How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie – game changer for communicating with people, getting people to like you and influencing people to want to work with you!
- Chasing Slow by Erin Loechner – This book helped me to look at life in a new way, to chase slow, to stop glorifying busy, and to really lift my eyes.
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert – This book left me highlighting paragraphs for days. It helps me look at my ideas differently, how to honor the right ideas, and what to do when you are building a business and sometimes paralyzed by fear.
- Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis – This book left me laughing and feeling less alone. It’s like Rach lived in my head with the stories she told and the lessons she shared. This is a must read!
- The 4-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss- This book made me realize that my dreams weren’t that far fetched and that I could make them happen without letting them take over my life. Read if you need a kick in the pants to turn that side hustle dream into a reality.
Would love to hear if you get one of these and your takeaways! Feel free to send me a message over on Instagram